As the New Year began I had many people ask me for a book recommendation. Some were sales people, some were small business owners, and some were just close friends so my answered varied widely. It made me think about what books I would put on my “must read” list for anyone in real estate marketing, advertising, or sales.
So here they are – The first six books on my list of must read books for 2012. Some are old classics, and some are recent best-sellers. Just know that if you read them all then you will be a step ahead of your competitors! (You can click the title of any book to learn more about it!)
1. The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing- This should be the first book anyone in marketing, branding, or advertising reads on the subject. Then you should read it a second time and make flash cards. Then you should memorize them. Yep, it’s that important. It is also a very quick and easy read.
2. Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose - What kind of person would offer new recruits $2,000 to quit before training classes were over? Or encourage his employees to help customers order a pizza at 2am? A successful entrepreneur and customer service and company culture visionary – Tony Hseih, the CEO of Zappos.com. In 2009, Zappos.com was sold to Amazon.com for $1.2 billion. His insights are all valuable – and applicable – to your business. They may run contrary to the way most companies are run, but that probably only serves to prove that he’s on to something BIG… and that there is more to business than making a quick buck.
3. Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions - Have you ever met someone who told you that they think marketing is a waste of time and money? That humans are rational, and will always pick the best value for their money? We all have! That’s why you need to read this book in order to show them scientific research that proves the opposite is true. Humans are not just irrational from time to time – but consistently and predictably. This book changed my life.
4. Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity- All the great ideas in the world won’t mean anything if you can’t execute them. This book gives a comprehensive solution for how to stay organized and affective in today’s high speed world. In as little as two days you can be up and running – but it will take a little longer to become a master at it. Besides the book, there are helpful start packets that make it easier.
5. Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable - This instant classic from 2002 told the world that to be a successful marketer you could no longer wait for the product to be developed by someone else and then try to put advertising lipstick on their pig. Instead marketers needed to be involved in the development of the product from the start so that it would have something remarkable in it… something others in the company may dismiss or rule irrelevant because it is less efficient.
6. New Home Sales in a Nutshell – This fantastic 115 page book is packed with “hard-boiled advice, tried and true tips, sensible solutions and bold responses to every objection a potential homebuyer presents.” It is something that I have seen have an impact in the life of a sales person again and again in this business. Certainly not one to pass up!
Click here to read about the next six selections, and let me know what you think about the titles on the list – or what you think should have been added!