To kick start my first full day at IBS2012, I met for an early breakfast with Myers Barnes. Holy Cow! Everyone knows Myers is high energy, but if you ever have the chance to meet with him for breakfast – you won’t need any coffee! We talked about a number of subjects, but negotiation, in-bred sales team errors (“lift and put” anyone?), and working your way to success despite any economy were high on the list.
Then I headed over to watch Mike Lyon, Scott Stroud, and Shirleen Von Hoffmann present on 100 Ideas to Maximize the Benefits of Your Existing Traffic. If you roll up all the ideas into a few main categories you get the following:
- Maximize your website traffic
- Maximize your Realtor traffic
- Maximize your grand opening traffic
- Maximize your lead conversions
- Maximize your community events
- Maximize your gorilla marketing
- Maximize your social media and tech tools
- Maximize your referrals
- Maximize your registration / qualifying process
- Maximize your follow up
It was a great session filled with immediately implementable ideas. It also included references to Zack Morris (what a guy!), Chris Farley, and Jack Nicholson!
After such an information packed session I needed to take a break and let my mind absorb it all, so I headed out to the show floor. A quick visit to Kohler, Heat & Glo, Dow, to see what was new (it turns out – a lot) and then I began final prep for my talk on mobile marketing at 3:30pm with Tim Costello of BHI. Here are the key points for most builders to understand when it comes to mobile:
- Your customers want you to interact with them via mobile. Most builders see 20% or more of their online traffic from mobile devices (for my builder it is nearly 25%)
- You already are doing mobile marketing even if you don’t think you are because of point number one. Your prospects just not might enjoy the experience.
- Start with content. Until you have high quality photography, videos, and more don’t spend a dime on mobile that you might need to create that content. You will use that content on ALL media, not just mobile!
- Don’t build it yourself, at least to start. There are plenty of pre-built options for builders to take advantage of (like from Builder Designs) and it will prevent costly delays and errors. With these solutions you could have a mobile site in days, not months.
Today I will be tweeting live from the Super Sales Rally (@BrandPossible) at 9am, and going to more educational sessions as well as the Builder Tech show after the days official events are completed, so stay tuned for more!